Monday, October 21, 2013

On My Own

This morning was my last training morning; as of tomorrow, I'll be opening and running the gym for the first 4 hours of the day on my own.  A lot of it is just basic stuff: making sure it's clean, answering phones and questions, etc.  There's also making smoothies (which, I have to admit, I think is kind of cool!) and inventory.  Perhaps it's the librarian in me, but I actually really enjoy the inventory aspect.

Getting up in the morning isn't as hard as you might expect.  Michael gets up between 3am and 3:30am; once I feed him, I hit the shower, grab coffee, pump, and leave.  I'm less than 3 miles from the gym, which is super convenient.  Once I open, I keep pretty busy until it's 9am and I meet Peter with Michael in tow in the parking lot.  He drops the kids at school and then comes down.  We do the baby handoff and I get home to revert back to homemaker extraordinaire. :)

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tired.  I'm exhausted.  You can't start around 3am and go until 9-10pm at night and not be.  But I keep reminding myself that it's worth it. I kept this curtain call during my training for the Marine Corps Marathon because I enjoy running.  I love my family more.  I can do this, tired or not.

Thankfully, the kids seem to be doing okay with it.  Maya tells me she misses me, but so far school hasn't had any issues with them acting out because I'm missing the morning routine.  Truth be told, I think they like having Daddy to themselves. :)

Speaking of the marathon, NYC is in less than 2 weeks!  I'm both excited and terrified.  I'm not nearly as trained as I want to be (or, honestly, need to be).  I know I can do it... But I don't know that I'll be walking afterwards!  I haven't been able to do more than a 15 miler.  I was due for my 20 miler this last weekend, but I ended up not feeling well on Friday (sore throat, sinus headache) and that lasted until last night.  It wasn't too bad on Saturday but I was so busy with things that I planned to do the run Sunday... and then, I ended up on the couch the whole day.  Thankfully, the kids got to spend time with their grandparents (who also fed the kids and Peter) so they had fun even if I was in and out of it on the sofa!  But, needless to say, I'm worried.  I may attempt a 20 this weekend, or I might do another 15.  Regardless, November 3rd has me doing 26.2.  Pray for me!

Sarah and I are leaving for NYC on Saturday and are making a girls weekend of it.  (True friendship is going with you to a Marathon that you aren't even running.  She's awesome.  She's going to cheer me on! Love that girl!!)  I'm sad to be without the kids for the weekend but I know they will have fun with Peter.  And I'm really proud of myself: I've pumped enough milk for Michael for the weekend!  I don't have a lot of time to pump so this has been quite the effort, especially since my morning pumping goes to feed him while I'm at work when he wakes up around 7:30 or so.

Well, I'm pretty trashed... I think I'll go make friends with the sofa until the kids wake up from their nap...


Karen Mele said...

Working is hard. I worked with kids for 8 years. I just had my 4th and quit working in July. You have a whole lot of responsibility. Be easy on yourself when you get overwhelmed. Let things go that don't absolutely have to get done. Hope things continue to go smoothly!

Brigid said...

Um, are you a human? When I work at 5 I stay in bed until the last possible second...usually 4:30 or so. I can't imagine getting up at 3:30 on the reg! And getting long-ass runs in there too?! I've been thinking of you guys on my (much shorter) runs. Good luck = )