Sunday, September 28, 2008


We left for Spring Lake around 2pm on Tuesday and arrived around 4pm at Victoria House. Although 2 blocks from the beach, we stayed in a room that faced the ocean and could hear the waves. It was beautiful... Our first afternoon, over tea (mine hot, Peter's iced) we played chess (Peter whipped me!) We walked the boardwalk and put our feet in the ocean (it was quite chilly!) and then went to Whispers for dinner. Although rated 5 stars according to their promotionals, we found them at around a 3. The service was fine, the food was fine, but nothing was phenomenal. That night, after an episode of Good Eats, we were sound asleep.

The next morning, we made morning Mass at St. Catharine's. Then we enjoyed breakfast and a walk around town, before buying Peter new swimming trunks, then heading to the beach. We only lasted 15 minutes in the huge waves (a storm was due Thursday and the waves were massive). It was cold and, honestly, I was afraid of the undertow. We then laid on the beach, which was warm under the sun, in spite of the harsh wind. It was beautiful, truly. After showering and a bath (fun times!), we walked town a few more times, which included lunch at our favorite spot, the Spring Lake Pizzeria. We bought Zoë her first toy, a soft little elephant from a boutique called Whimsical. We also picked up a few bottles of wine from the wine store and some homemade chocolate (yum). At tea time, we played Scrabble and, amazing of amazings, I won! Only by a few points, but still! We ended up eating leftovers from Whispers for dinner because neither of us was hungry enough to go back to town for dinner.

On Thursday, we once again visited St. Catharine's, then had a tasty breakfast before finishing up a game of Checkers (it was a tie, although Peter would have won). At checkout, our innkeepers gave us a beautiful hand penned picture of the B&B, in honor of our special event: Zoë! We are looking forward to putting it up. We took another walk through town and picked up a special souvenir: a pottery mug. We had a disappointing lunch at Mimi's. We should have gone back to the Pizzeria! Finally, we were back in the car for home (sadness) and made it back around 2pm. It was hard to come home. I still miss the beach!

No comments: