Originally posted here
I made these delicious apple muffins up this morning. They aren't overly sweet and (I think) have a nice, earthy quality to them.
1. Preheat oven to 350. To prepare, dice 2 small-medium apples (I used pink ladies). Also, mix 1tbsp ground flax with 3tbsp water, and put aside.
2. Mix together: 1.5c AP flour, .5c AP whole wheat flour, 1tsp baking powder, .5tsp baking soda, .5tsp salt.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine and mix on low until well combined: 1/4c plain Greek yogurt, 1/4c unsweetened applesauce, 2tbsp oil, 1 egg, flax mixture (from step #1), 1tbsp vanilla, 2/3c sugar.
4. Mix in the diced apples (from step #1).
5. Add the flour mixture to wet ingredients and blend on "stir" setting. The dough will be very sticky. Divide into 12 muffin tins.
6. Mix together: 3tbsp brown sugar, 2tbsp hazelnut meal, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tbsp butter. Mix with your fingers until crumbly (a cornmeal texture) and sprinkle evenly over each muffin.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.